With a population of about 4500, East Petersburg Borough is conveniently located three miles northwest of the city of Lancaster. East Petersburg is located on the eastern boundary of East Hempfield Township and the western boundary of Manheim Township, in the Hempfield School District. Most of the new and existing homes are in housing developments with the exception of the farms and farmettes.
East Petersburg takes pride in its extensive park system, with bike paths that connect one park area to another. You will find basketball courts, tennis courts, playgrounds, and ballfields throughout the community. There is a summer children’s program at the East Petersburg Community Park. An open pavilion and community center (with a kitchen) is available for gatherings and meetings. There is also a community swimming pool with a playground on Graystone Road.
All major conveniences can be realized without having to venture far. One of the highlights near the borough is Roots Market located on Graystone Road just off Route 72 (the major artery passing through the center of town). The market sells produce, baked goods, arts & crafts and other various items, and is open Tuesdays, year-round from 9am to 9pm. Like all markets in Lancaster county, PA, it attracts tourists and locals.
East Petersburg Borough was just 75 years old in 2021, but the community’s roots date nearly to the time of the American Revolution. In fact, a farmhouse near the eastern end of the borough was built before the war, and a nearby mill was already producing grain.
WHY EAST PETERSBURG BOROUGH WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1946
In the late 1940s, East Petersburg had an epidemic of typhoid fever. Two local physicians, Dr. Miller and Dr. Lockey, called for the water to be tested. State health authorities found it was contaminated because the wells were too close to sewage sources. East Petersburg would have to obtain a new water source.
A committee comprised of Virgil Spencer, Melvin Binkley and Harry Ober took charge of the project. In order to establish a municipal water system, East Petersburg incorporated as a Borough on December 20, 1946. Its first burgess (mayor) was Melvin Binkley, and the first council president was Virgil Spencer.