Soliciting or Selling door to door in the Borough: It is unlawful for any individual to solicit funds, peddle, canvass, or take orders either by sample or otherwise, for any goods, wares or merchandise, upon any street, alley, sidewalk or public place, or from house to house in the Borough without first obtaining a license from the Northern Lancaster County Regional Police Dept. The following are exempt:
(1) Farmers selling their own products;
(2) Persons soliciting funds or selling goods, wares or merchandise, donated by the owner thereof, where the funds or proceeds of sale are to be applied exclusively for a charitable purpose;
(3) Representatives and members of Girl Scouts of America, Boy Scouts of America, Lions, Rotary, Kiwanis, American Association of Retired Persons, Disabled American Veterans, Y.W.C.A. and Y.M.C.A., Y.W.H.A., Y.M.H.A., Red Cross Salvation Army and other national and international service organizations and associations existing for the benefit of youth, aged, handicapped or stricken and soliciting or selling for the purpose of self perpetuation and who may be registered as charitable organizations with the State or Federal Government;
(4) Manufacturers or producers of bread and bakery products, meat and meat products, or milk or mild products, who sell their own products;
(5) Insurance and real estate agents and brokers licenses by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
(6) Individuals distributing sales literature “door hangings” if there is no attempt to contact the homeowner business occupant.
If you see suspicious door to door sales or have a question about a door to door solicitation please contact the Northern Lancaster County Regional Police Department non-emergency number at 717-664-1180.
Information on starting a neighborhood watch: https://www.staysafe.org/starting-and-growing-a-neighborhood-watch/
Current Soliciting Permits
INFORMATION ON OBTAINING A SOLICITATION PERMIT:
Steps to follow:
1. Complete the PA ePATCH report, print or save it on a mobile device.
2. Fill out online SOLICITATION FORM
3. Appear at East Petersburg Borough office to pay the required permit fee. Checks made payable to East Petersburg Borough.
4. Call NLCRPD to schedule an appointment, walk-ins not guaranteed.
5. Bring your ePATCH report, valid photo ID, and payment receipt from East Petersburg Borough to your appointment at NLCRPD. Note: there will be a fee for your i.d. card. Bring check or cash to pay for the solicitor photo badge that will be prepared for you – checks for i.d. made payable to NLCRPD.
• Applicants must complete the Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (PATCH) report PRIOR to submitting the SOLICITATION FORM and appearing at NLCRPD. Go to www.epatch.state.pa.us to complete the PATCH report.
• Applicants MUST APPEAR in PERSON to East Petersburg Borough to pay their registration fee and at the NLCRPD in order to complete permitting. Applications and/or payments sent by mail will be returned. Please be aware that all applicants license or ID will be reviewed by the on-duty Supervisor prior to permit approval, PA or out-of-state.